How to make your skin shine this autumn
Make autumn the season you bare your skin and let world see you shine!
Hello and welcome to my early autumn skin snippet. Now that many of us are back from our summer breaks hopefully with a healthy sun kissed glow I thought this month would be a great time to discuss how you can feel confident in your skin and maybe even show off that post summer naturally radiant skin without the need for any foundation or cover up…
I often see women in my skin clinics who are wearing thick layers of make up as cover up for acne, scars or pigmentation which we are all prone to. This got me thinking … as we are all prone to having bad skin days and the majority of us have blemishes and scars… how can we start maintaining our skin to a higher standard of clarity and health and ultimately have the confidence and ability to ditch the make-up and show the world the real us ? Having fabulous skin is the key to regaining confidence to go “no make-up” this autumn.
I’d like to share with you 5 tips on how you can obtain a healthy complexion which will instill you with the confidence to “bare your skin and own the skin you’re in this autumn ”.
- Moisturise, moisturise moisturise: I often get asked in clinic which creams/cosmetics I recommend and my standard answer is always that you should choose a moisturiser which feels good on your skin giving you the right moisture balance i.e. not too greasy and not too drying. Most of us have tried many different moisturisers on our quest to finding that one perfect moisturiser and have realized hopefully that the most expensive creams are not necessarily the best. I recommend you using a moisturiser (lotion, cream or ointment based), which feels good on your skin and one that you feel happy applying and reapplying. Once you’ve found that perfect one, which keeps your skin moisturized enough to give you a healthy complexion and no dry spots or break outs; stick to it!
- Tinted sunscreens with SPF 30 or above are available and can help you maintain your health summer glow whilst simultaneously preventing further sun tanning or burning. These tinted sunscreens give coverage similar to some BB creams and allow your skin to breathe without the need for foundation, which can often clog your pores and cause acne (break outs).
- Get a topical vitamin A (retinoid) containing night cream and use regularly. It is common knowledge that topical vitamin A containing creams have many benefits some of which include maintaining acne free skin to accelerating collagen production, acting as a superficial mild chemical peel thereby preventing pigmentation. There are many over the counter creams, which contain retinoids however as these are cosmetics they often contain lower concentrations of the active ingredient. See your Dermatologist who can advise you on the correct retinoid for your skin type.
- Cleanse your skin well. It really doesn’t matter which product you use again as long as you regularly cleanse your skin preferably twice a day i.e. morning and evening. The type of cleanser you should use depends upon your background skin i.e. if you are acne prone cleansers containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide may help and if you are not acne prone and have dryer skin moisturizing and gentle cleansers will be better for your skin type. There are many cleansers available on the market so choose one and cleanse away this will help you get that fresh, clean and spot free baseline skin which won’t need any cover up.
- Rest well and eat well and do what makes you happy – this gives you your real glow and the confidence to bare your skin no matter what type of a skin day it is!
This may sound quite off beat for skin advice however it is well proven that being well rested and happy affects our health in a positive way. It will thereby be no surprise to you that being healthy and happy will also give you an enviable healthy, glowing complexion which no cream, make up or foundation can compete with!
Here’s to having plain and simple great skin this September and the confidence to “bare your skin and own your look” with no cover up necessary. Stay looking “fabulously you” Hello readers… ☺ SR