Which cosmetic procedures can help you look the “best version of you” this summer?
Hello everyone and welcome back to the warmer and sunnier May edition of my skin blog.
So hello summer and goodbye rain is what we are all thinking right?! As we enter May and the essence of summer beckons what every woman and a lot of men I know have on her mind (and why not!) is “how can I look the best version of ME and enjoy my summer whilst looking and feeling fabulous?”
So worry not Hello readers help is at hand; as a Dermatologist who specializes in Cosmetic Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery I would like to share with you the best cosmetic procedures you can invest in which will give you quick and natural results just in time for the glorious summer that lies ahead…
My Top 5 Cosmetic procedures to get you ready for summer 2016
1. Botox® or Botulinum toxin injections for a relaxed youthful look: Botox® is the most commonly performed cosmetic procedure performed worldwide. Botulinum toxin injections are both safe and reversible and give you a relaxed refreshed appearance by smoothening out your facial lines and can subtly change the contour of your face if performed by an expert. Depending on which type of botulinum toxin you have (there are three commonly used types Abobotulinum toxin, Incobotulinum toxin and Onabotulinum toxin) the effects can be felt anywhere from 72 hours post treatment to up to 2 weeks after treatment. So if you have a special party or have lots of weddings to attend this summer get booked in for your “Tox” at least 4 weeks in advance.
2. Chemical peels for a fresh faced appearance: Now most of my patients and friends are frightened when the word “chemical peel” is mentioned, and I totally understand why because the name is associated with a horrific image of a woman or man with a very red and sore face! (Remember Samantha from Sex and the City!) Thankfully however this is not the case with most peels, which are often superficial chemical peels. Superficial chemical peels when done in expert hands results in some mild tingling and some skin peeling for 2-3 days afterwards and there are usually no horrific after effects when performed by an expert. This peeling can be helped by a cream or ointment based moisturizer. Peels can leave you with a freshened appearance and take away those dark spots on your face. They can also help with break outs (acne spots) and well worth investing in for that fresh-faced look for a summer party. You must remember to wear lots of sunscreen afterwards though to prevent re-pigmentation.
3. Lasers for a glowing complexion and younger looking skin: There are so many creams out there on the market promising you a glowing and youthful complexion however most creams require time to work (that’s if you remember to apply them correctly and regularly) and may never give you the rapidly noticeable or even noticeable results that laser treatments can. So ask your Dermatologist about the laser procedure that may be good for your skin type (there are different skin types based on your ability to burn or tan in the sun). It is important that you choose a well trained Laser surgeon who will perform a test area to see how your particular skin type responds to lasers before having your full face done.
4. Dermal fillers for that lifted appearance and great facial contours: There are a multitude of fillers available in the U.K and many people doing them. When fillers are done well the results are subtle and will add contours to your face in a natural and elegant way leaving you with a naturally lifted appearance. So whether it is your cheeks, jawline or your lips you’re looking to enhance this summer, getting the right filler with the right doctor i.e. a person who understands facial anatomy(therefore avoiding complications) will give you the look you’ve always wanted!
5. Body shaping/contouring procedures for that summer bikini body: Now who hasn’t gone on a crash diet just before their summer holiday right? Although there is no substitute for watching what you eat and exercising regularly, we all know that some pockets of fat just won’t go with diet and exercise alone. This is where body contouring procedures come in and can help you loose unwanted pockets of fat and get that great shape you’ve always dreamed of. Ask your Dermatologist for the various body contouring treatments available where you are.
The above cosmetic procedures are designed for enhancement of the beauty you already have. The most important thing to remember is to research your Cosmetic Dermatologist or Cosmetic Surgeon, ask them as many questions as necessary for you to feel safe in their hands and ensure you are in well trained i.e. expert hands at all times. So until next month … enjoy looking and feeling fabulous! SR