I always ask my clients what their biggest priority is. More times then not they want their guests to have fun and the dance floor to be crowded! To get the ushers whipping their bow ties around their heads like a helicopter blade, and the elderly guests doing the two step shuffle, then careful attention must be put into your evening reception. See my top wedding planning tips below for a fun and unique evening that has your guests asking when your next party is.
Top wedding planning tips for a fabulous evening reception
1) Hire the best possible band or DJ for your budget. Music is no place to cut corners so you should splurge on a reliable and talented band/DJ to get the dance floor moving and bring the atmosphere to life. Bad vocals and bad music equate a disaster and your guests will head home early. Music truly is the soul of the event.
2) Place the bar in the same room as the dance floor. Guests tend to linger around the bar so if the two are together your guests will remain in the same room. If they are apart, the group will be separated.
3) Hire a lighting company to transform the room. Coloured lighting instantly changes the atmosphere and will take your guests into a whole new world. Top Tip: Use a different colour to the one used for the dinner. Give your guests a complete transformation from day to night.
4) Have your first dance at the beginning of the band’s first set (or when the DJ starts), so all guests are in the room and can join you for the following songs.
5) Hire a beautiful dance floor to complement your colour scheme and design. Guests love dancing on beautiful/unique dance floors rather than the traditional wooden floors. They look great in pictures too!
6) Consider hiring a live band and a DJ. Band’s are great at getting the dance floor filled but if you want to move over to today’s hottest hits, or even music that’s not on the band’s repertoire then a DJ is a perfect fit. If this isn’t possible, pop in a iPod and dance the night away to your favourite tunes.