When people discover that they have a dairy intolerance thought immediately goes to how are they going to live without yoghurt, milk and cheese. The first two have some pretty good alternatives but it is really hard to find a dairy free cheese that doesn’t resemble plastic and have more additives than a Twinkie bar.
I set it my goal to make a cheesy carbonara sauce that was dairy free and it turned out delicious.
Serves 2 Time: Soaking time: 24 hours + 15 minutes cooking
– 100g of cashew nuts
– 2 pinches of sea salt
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
– 1 garlic clove
– 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes
– Water till desired texture
– Place the nuts in a bowl and fill with water and a pinch of sea salt and soak overnight
– In the morning drain and rinse the cashews well then add to the food processor
– Add the remaining ingredients and process on high
– Next add water slowly until the cream reaches the desired texture for your meal
For the dish:
– 1 portion of Soba Noodles (you can use spiralised courgette if you are grain free)
– 5 rashers of free Range Bacon
– 200g of chopped mushrooms
– 1 chopped Onion
– Mixed herbs
- Heat a large pan on high and add a teaspoon of oil to the pan (coconut or olive oil)
– Add the chopped onion and bacon to the pan and cook with the bacon
– Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3 minutes
– Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the soba noodles and cook as per instruction
– Once the soba noodles are nearly cooked then add the cream to the pan and mixed herbs and heat.
Daniel O’Shaughnessy Dip ION FdSc mBANT CNHC is a qualified Nutritional Therapist & Metabolic Balance coach. A specialist in stress and gastrointestinal health and weight management, he has clinics across London. He is also the cofounder of Bodhimaya and holds transformative, educational and rejuvenating retreats in the UK and around the world. For more information please visit http://thenakednutritionist.co.uk or call 0207 293 0939.