This blog has been running for about a year now and so I thought it is probably best time to share with you what exactly I do and exactly what Nutritional Therapy is. Additionally I am offering you have the chance to win a Nutritional Therapy initial and follow up consultation worth £175.
What is Nutritional Therapy?
Nutritional Therapy is the application of nutrition science in the promotion of health, peak performance and individual care. Nutritional therapy practitioners use a wide range of tools to assess and identify potential nutritional imbalances and understand how these may contribute to an individual’s symptoms and health concerns. This approach allows them to work with individuals to address nutritional balance and help support the body towards maintaining health. Nutritional Therapy is recognised as a complementary medicine and is relevant for individuals with chronic conditions, as well as those looking for support to enhance their health and wellbeing.
Practitioners consider each individual to be unique and recommend personalised nutrition and lifestyle programmes rather than a ‘one size fits all’ approach. Practitioners never recommend nutritional therapy as a replacement for medical advice and always refer any client with ‘red flag’ signs or symptoms to their medical professional. They will also frequently work alongside a medical professional and will communicate with other healthcare professionals involved in the client’s care to explain any nutritional therapy programme that has been provided.
Why use Nutritional Therapy?
Some people simply want to check that they are on the right track with regard to healthy eating. Others may want to lose weight or get help with their symptoms.
Nutritional Therapists recognise that each person is an individual with unique requirements and take time to define personalised nutrition plan rather than a ‘one size fits all’ approach.
Nutrition and lifestyle approaches to healthcare have been shown to support the health of all the major systems of the body (skeletal, muscular, nervous, respiratory, cardiovascular, digestive, excretory, endocrine, immune, reproductive and integumentary [skin, hair, nails]). Typical priorities in nutritional therapy consultations are support to achieve optimum energy levels, healthy blood sugar balance, emotional and pyschological wellbeing, optimum gastrointestinal health and tolerance to a broad range of food groups.
What to expect from a Nutritional Therapy Consultation?
Before the first consultation, the practitioner usually provides a health and nutrition questionnaire for the client to complete. An initial consultation typically lasts 60 to 90 minutes, and in this time the practitioner asks detailed questions about current health concerns, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment, medical history, family history, lifestyle, levels of physical activity, use of medication and supplements and diet. The practitioner then evaluates individual needs and uses the extensive evidence base for nutritional science to develop a personalised, safe and effective nutrition and lifestyle programme.
Follow up consultations are generally after four weeks in order to monitor progress and make any necessary adjustments. Further follow-ups may be required depending on each individual situation.
To celebrate the launch of a brand new website and a new home in Embody Wellness, The Naked Nutritionist is offering you the chance to win an initial appointment and follow up appointment 4 weeks later at Embody Wellness, London. You will also have the opportunity to appear on this blog detailing your experience.
Embody Wellness is South London’s premier centre for health and wellbeing. Located in the landmark St George Wharf development just one minute from Vauxhall tube and train station Embody offers a broad range of complementary and therapeutic treatments to heal, revive and relax. In addition, the centre offers beauty treatments for men and women as well as an extensive timetable of yoga and Pilates classes, including courses for beginners and pregnancy classes.
To be able to win, simply click here to go to The Facebook like page for The Naked Nutritionist, like and also send a quick message with your name and email address. We won’t share your email with anyone else but you will receive our health newsletter packed full of health tips, recipes and more. If you prefer not to receive the newsletter, simply state “opt out” when supplying your name and email. Terms and Conditions apply (please see below).
1. This competition is open to anyone aged 18 or over who is ordinarily resident in the UK and can make both appointments at Embody Wellness spa.
2. Entry is only accepted via Facebook like page and sending a private message with an email address.
3. The Naked Nutritionist shall not be held responsible for technical errors in telecommunication networks, internet access or otherwise, preventing entry at this website.
4. Entrants must supply their name and a valid email address as the winner will be contacted by email.
5. Entries must be received by midday GMT on Monday 19 November 2012. No purchase is necessary.
6. The winner will be chosen by random selection.
7. The prize is for one initial appointment and one follow up at Embody Wellness, London. Tests and supplements may be recommended but these are not included in the prize.
8. The prize is not transferable. No cash alternative. If for any reason the winner is unable to participate in the prize, The Naked Nutritionist may select an alternative participant.
9. By entering the competition entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and the additional terms and conditions below.
10. Acceptance of the prize constitutes consent to use the winner’s entry, name and photos for editorial or publicity purposes.
11. The maximum number of entries per person is 1.