I don’t know a single person who doesn’t have a ‘story’ about buying or selling their home. It is usually stressful, time consuming and EXPENSIVE!! In my experience, the estate agent has been the biggest cause of tension, not necessarily because they have been bad, but because I haven’t been in control of the process myself. Having looked through some of the properties on Rightmove, even celebrities like Alesha Dixon, Roger Moore and Ringo Starr have to use estate agents. There has never really been an alternative. No matter how much your house is selling for, EVERYONE has to rely on an estate agent to provide a good service and EVERYONE has to pay the ridiculous commission charges.
When you sell your house, there are usually six key things you need:
- Access to big property portals like Rightmove and Zoopla (96% of all UK properties are viewed or sold via Rightmove and Zoopla)
- Floorplans, photographs and a description of the property
- To know the value of your property
- To be able to organise viewings
- To be able to negotiate an offer
- To make sure the offer goes through
Those six things have had to come from an estate agent but maybe not anymore! I have recently been working with www.Purplebricks.com, the UKs first 24/7 estate agency service offering a NEW way for people to sell their home, at the click of a button! The idea is that for a fixed fee of £599 you can do all of the above but manage the whole process yourself with the support of their local property experts! The average commission payment in the UK is £6,000 but this can be LOADS more if you have a popstar sized mansion! I really think this way of selling your home could be the future. If you want to know more I have written an article about it http://www.letssavemoney.com/1-minute-guide-to-online-estate-agents/
Remember though, it isn’t just the estate agent where you can keep control. If you are one of the thousands of people wanting to sell your home this Spring, here are some sensible ways to try and get the best price you can:
- Make sure your house is clean and tidy and the garden is neat
- Remove all the clutter, if you’re using a bedroom as a storage room make sure the buyer can see the potential by moving everything or at least storing it neatly in boxes
- Make sure your pet isn’t about during any viewings and make sure you move any litter trays!
- A new bathroom or kitchen will up your asking price BUT you could just update door knobs, faucets and light fittings for a lot less
- Everything that expresses your personality (the bright pink front door, the orange kitchen…) needs to go, repaint everything neutral so your home seems like a blank canvas