Kim Kardashian has been sharing her thoughts on Valentine’s Day and is thinking very much along the same lines as us here at LetsSaveSomeMoney.com. It is NOT about how much you spend but WHO you spend it with. It really is the thought that counts and taking the time to come up with a personal gift for your loved one will make him or her feel truly special!
First thing’s first, the Valentine’s card. O2 says that fewer people are sending cards these days and are turning to text messages to share the love instead! In fact 11 million MORE texts were sent on Valentine’s Day last year than a normal day in February – wow! BUT actually 85% of women would prefer a card to a text and making your own would be a sure fire winner! Come on, you know you can be creative!
As for gifts, roses, chocolates and champagne are all great (and we have listed the BEST places to buy them in a 1 minute guide to romantic gifts on my website). However, here are pick of top free gifts (and guaranteed tear jerkers too!)
- How about a pack of special playing cards with 52 of the reasons why you love them stuck on the back of each card? Aaaaah! You can make your own or even get a custom made set at personalisedplayingcards.com (LOOK, I have an exclusive discount code too! Use the code 10off4U at checkout for a 10% discount). You can even put pictures on them!
- How about that old romantic favourite the mixtape? Use iTunes or sign up for a free trial at Spotify and put together a selection of songs that mean something to you both. The song that played on your first date, the tune you heard when he proposed, music from your wedding…..anything that shows you have thought about it will be a winner!
- Make a scrapbook or collage full of memories – a ticket stub from the cinema, a postcard from your first holiday…… or how about a photobook charting the happy times in your relationship? You can do it yourself with a printer and some glue but there are actually LOADS of websites who can help you and Tesco photo have 60% off with photo books from £6 and you should check out Photobox and Snapfish too
- Romantic night in? Grab a meal deal from the supermarket (one with booze as this is what gives you the real value) and have a FREE month’s trial on Netflix watching slushy movies. Pretty Woman, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice……the choice is yours (or hers!!)
- Cut your costs by having a £5 challenge with your partner. Buy each other the best (or silliest) gift possible for £5 (or £1 or 50p – depends how flush you feel!). We have also found some exceptionally cute heart shaped post-its at Wilkos for just 35p for you to write love notes on to your partner or even some saucy IOUs!! Ooh la la!