Watching the coverage of Prince George’s Christening last week I was struck by how understated and personal it was. Prepared to be horrified when I tell you that 10% of parents spend an eye watering £10,000 on their baby’s Christening! Insane! However, you CAN have a really lovely party and celebrate your baby’s naming day without spending their inheritance!
- Baby’s gown – if you have a family Christening gown or special outfit, then use it! It is GREAT to have something traditional and even if you aren’t keen on the style or think it is old-fashioned, it beats buying something new! My friend’s husband was horrified about putting their son into ‘a dress’ but as soon as he remembered it was FREE, he was much happier!
- You don’t have to have an extensive guest list! William and Kate only had 22 people (Godparents and immediate family). Remember, this isn’t an extension of your wedding and you don’t have to invite loads of guests.
- Keep the party informal – check out the best deals on booze on mySupermarket or use discount vouchers and maybe even ask your guests to bring a dish to share together.
- Christening cakes, like wedding cakes, can cost a fortune, but you could buy a plain celebration cake and then buy cute cake toppers from Amazon or eBay and cut the cost in HALF!
- Although Prince George had a celebrity photographer, simple snaps on a good Smartphone can be just as good these days and you can get them printed out easily from PrinterPix and Photobox
For LOADS more ideas for creating a fabulous naming day on a budget, read my 1 minute guide to Christenings on a budget