HELLO! online recently posted a poll on the world’s most iconic hairstyles, and as Marilyn Monroe topped the list, it gave us inspiration for this week’s Get the Look feature.
The look takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to create, including make-up and is suitable for mid-length hair; if your hair is longer you can still recreate the look by pinning the hair underneath.
The Hair Prep
- Start with wet hair and spray with a light heat protector. Take the hair and clip it up on your head, leaving two sections at the nape of the neck free.
- Start to blow-dry the hair using a round bristle brush as you finish each section start to add the heated rollers.
- Continue to blow dry the hair in sections, adding the rollers until your whole head is up in rollers.
- As Marilyn had a side parting when you get to the front of the hair, position the rollers along the parting to ensure the waves set with the right curl.
Whilst you wait for your rollers to set, we recommend maybe in true Hollywood style maybe having a little glass of fizz, it is nearly Christmas after all!
It is also the perfect time to begin your make-up!
Creating the face of screen legend
- Marylyn’s make –up is a classic vintage Hollywood look and our top tip is to keep the make up simple.
- Use a colour wash on the eye (a colour wash is a lighter colour than the lip placed on the moveable part of they eye)
- Then take a taupe coloured shadow and blend into the socket line and outer edge of the eye. This creates a natural look but adds emphasis to the eye and opens it up.
- Use a kohl pencil eye liner (Bobbi Brown black coal – is always good but you can pick one up from most chemists and make-up shops ) and apply to the water line of the eye. Do this is three stages.
- 1st stage- apply to the inner corner of the eyes water line.
- 2nd stage- apply to the middle of the water line
- 3rd bring the coal to the outer eye in water line.
- TOP TIP:- Always apply the coal liner on the top water line of the eye. This helps keep the colour, so when you blink, you blink the coal on coal, and it stops the bottom waterline running and smudging.
- To create a full lash, you want to apply the mascara 2-3 times BUT apply directly to the roots and brush out (as if your combing your lashes) on top of the lashes, not underneath. This will prevent your mascara clogging.
- To create a strong full red lip, always use a lip liner first to create the definition of the lips. If you have small lips, apply the liner above your lip line. And if you have larger lips, apply the liner underneath your lip line.
- Keep you blush in the same colour pallet as your lips. (If you use a warm red, use a warm blush or if you use a cool red, use a cool blush) and apply to the apples of your cheeks.
- The ‘apples of your cheeks’ are the plumpest area on the cheek when you smile. This creates a really natural healthy look.
Once you have finished your make-up it is time to take out the curlers and finish the look.
- Carefully take them out starting from the nape of the neck, as you take each one out, then gently backcomb the hair from the root for about two to three inches to create volume.
- Next position the curls around your face to create your own perfect Marilyn Monroe style.
If your hair is longer then simply pin the curls using grips to create the look, allowing an extra few minutes.
We hope you love this look as much as we do. We love old school glamour and it makes for a great look this party season.
Until next week, have fun! La Durbin x