If you love design and are interested in style, it’s always curious to see how it comes together with food.
Alessi is a company which produces all manner of designer home wares, and are now making designer cake moulds. I was fascinated to see how these would work and keen to give them a go. I thought they would lend themselves best to a dense type of cake, so I immediately thought of this delicious favourite recipe.
Lemon and almond cake
Makes 12 individual cakes
250g butter or margarine
250g caster sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp lemon extract
5 medium eggs, beaten
250g ground almonds
50g plain flour, gluten free if needed
1) Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease your cake moulds and set them out upside down on a baking tray
2) Place the butter and margarine into a large mixing bowl and beat together well until light and fluffy. Add the almond and lemon extract and mix in thoroughly.
3) Add the eggs and beat into the butter and sugar well
4) Now add the ground almonds and sift in the plain flour and fold into the mixture. Spoon into the prepared cake moulds and bake for 20-25 minutes until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
5) Remove the cakes from the moulds and allow to cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.