There are so many things to see and do in Abu Dhabi and the surrounding areas, and here is a selection of my highlights. For more information on things to do in Abu Dhabi and the surrounding areas, please visit visitabudhabi.ae/.
1) Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi is a must for anyone wanting a fun day out. It offers a wide range of rides and flumes suitable for children and thrill-seekers alike. If you are not staying in a hotel with a swimming pool, then it’s also an excellent opportunity to swim and sunbathe, too.
2) Ferrari World Abu Dhabi will captivate car enthusiasts and speed junkies alike with over 20 exhilarating rides, attractions and historic cars to discover. Be prepared for strange expressions as you flex up to 100 facial muscles on Formula Rossa, the fastest rollercoaster in the world! If you are interested in experiencing how it really feels to be behind the wheel of a Ferrari Formula 1 car, you can try the simulators used by drivers to train before a race.
3) Visit the magnificent Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque for its totally breathtaking architecture. The Mosque is set among beautiful reflective pools of water and boasts 82 domes, over 1,000 columns, 24 carat gold gilded chandeliers and the world’s largest hand knotted carpet. Ladies, cover up before you go. Do wear a long skirt or trousers and take a scarf with you. You may also have to borrow an abaya to wear for your visit (on loan on site).
4) In the heat of Abu Dhabi, a dip in the Arabian Gulf’s clean turquoise waters is a must. Head to Abu Dhabi’s pristine Corniche beachfront to take advantage of the glorious white sand, and the heavenly warm sea.
5) Experience afternoon tea to remember, by heading to the 74th floor of the Jumeirah at Etihad Towers Hotel and enjoy a selection of delicious drinks and cakes. The iced coffees are particularly good. The Observation Deck at 300 is the highest vantage point in the whole city and shows off the spectacular 360° view across Abu Dhabi and the ocean.