A dense, moist chocolate cake which keeps well. It’s a great cake to make for a celebration, or a dessert for a dinner party, or just because it tastes amazing. It’s naturally gluten free and is delicious eaten chilled.
Gluten free chocolate cake
For the cake:
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g butter, cubed
- 6 eggs, separated
- 75g caster sugar
- 200g ground hazelnuts
To finish the cake
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 50g dark chocolate
- Fresh raspberries
1) Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm/8″ round springform cake tin. Line base and side with baking paper.
2) Combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
3) Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until thick and creamy. Add chocolate mixture. Beat to combine. Add hazelnut meal. Beat to combine.
4) Place egg whites in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon, stir one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture. Gently fold remaining egg white through chocolate mixture.
5) Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
6) Make Chocolate icing: Place chocolate and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth. Spread over top and side of cake. Stand for 10 minutes or until icing has set. Decorate with fresh raspberries