Gluten Free Lavender and Honey Cake
I was busy having a play in the kitchen last week, and came up with this lovely cake, which feels very spring like. The combination of honey and lavender flavours is really interesting and works very well made gluten and dairy free. Use a good quality honey for an even better flavour – I used a very nice organic lavender honey from East Sussex.
– 140g butter or dairy free margarine
– 170g honey
– 85g lavender sugar
– 170g gluten free self raising flour
– 2 large free range eggs
– I greased and lined a 7″ round cake tin and preheated my fan oven to 160C
– I put the butter, honey and sugar into a small non-stick saucepan and heated until the butter melted and all ingredients were combined.
– I poured this into my Kitchen Aid, added the flour and mixed until combined. I then added the eggs and mixed again.
– I finally transferred the cake mixture into the cake tin and baked for 40 minutes
– When the cake came out of the oven, I mixed 2 tablespoons of lavender sugar with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of warm water and heated gently until it formed a syrup. I poured this straight over the hot cake.
This cake has a lovely subtle flavour. The drizzle is nice but VERY sticky.