Aveda was the makeup brand used at the William Okpo NYFW Fall/Winter 2013 show earlier this year and I spoke to Janell Geason, Global Artistic Director, Aveda Makeup, on the beauty looks featured.
She said: “The look at William Okpo is heavily influenced by Mexican painter Frida Kahlo – think bohemian and nomadic. She is the girl who is not afraid to be her natural self. The brow is super strong, yet imperfect. It’s forward-thinking and a bit ‘out there.’ This is distinctive, refined beauty, not at all about being too polished or pristine.”
Here’s how you can get the look at home:
1. To create a smooth and even complexion, apply Aveda Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 15. Add Aveda Inner Light Concealer where needed. To set, apply a light dusting of Inner Light™ Mineral Loose Powder with the Aveda Uruku Bronzing Brush.
2. Fill in the brows with Petal Essence Eye Definer in Cacao or Black Orchid to create a Frida-inspired look.
3. Use Aveda Petal Essence Single Eye Colour in Antique Gold from the lash line to brow, creating a beautiful wash of colour. For darker complexions, choose Aveda Petal Essence Single Eye Colour in Ginger Root.
4. Finish eyes with a coat of Aveda Mosscara in Black Forest.
5. Swirl Aveda Uruku Bronzing Brush in Petal Essence Face Accent in Peach Lights and blush cheeks to add contour.
6. Prep lips with Aveda Nourish-Mint Renewing Lip Treatment. Then colour the lips with a blend of Nourish-Mint Smoothing Lip Colour in Cana and Melochia Bloom.
The colours are earthy but vibrant and will work beautifully with most skin tones.